Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fruit Custard



FRUIT CUSTARD!

Custard is one of my most favorite deserts, and it is also my husband's favorite. Custard with sweet fruits reminds me of childhood, of Eid celebrations. My mom used to make custard on every Eid especially for me. Because, I would probably create a big scene if there was no custard! I loved it so much and I still do =) But, now I make it and feed it to my mother and my family.

My mom used to make custard mixture from scratch, which would taken way more time than it took me to make this delicious desert. Off course her version tasted heavenly, but I really am not the kind of person to spend hours in kitchen.

So, I simply use the custard powder bought from the supermarket. You gotta make sure it's a very good quality brand. There are variety of flavors available now, which did not exist back in my childhood. Which is why, I love the original flavor and not those fruity flavors too much. You can always use any flavor you like!

Okay, so I will just go ahead and show you the recipe!


Ingredients:


Custard Powder - 3 table spoons
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Whole Milk: 2 1/2 cups (At room temperature)
Fresh Chinese Apple - 1 large (skin peeled and cut in small pieces)
1 medium ripe banana - sliced in round or moon shapes
1 sweet mango - cut in small slices





You can add any sweet fruits to your custard, as long as they are not citrus fruits. Because citrus fruits will rot the milk ingredients. Fruits such as Papaya, berries, grapes, peaches, plums are good for custard. You can also use canned fruits!

Method:

In a dry saucepan, mix together the sugar and custard powder to obtain smooth mixture and then pour the milk slowly and keep stirring. In medium heat bring milk and custard mix to a boil. Keep stirring! Stirring will prevent the milk from producing lumps and from burning.

After a good 5-10 minutes of stirring and boiling in medium to low heat, you will notice the mixture in a thicker consistency. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool.
KEEP STIRRING at this point. Do not stop stirring until the mixture stops letting out steam. This will prevent the milk from forming the thick layer on top which you absolutely do not want in a custard!
You can now place the custard milk mixture in a bowl of your choice and when it reaches room temperature, place is inside the Refrigerator.

Start slicing up the fruits after 30 minutes or so, while the mixture is cooling in the refrigerator. Do not cut the fruits too early because they will get darker and ruin the art of this dish.

After one hour or more, you can take out the bowl of custard and sprinkle the fruits.

Mix it with a spatula lightly and serve.

Voila!







Post a Comment