Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pui Saag Chingri Maach Curry/leafy greens with shrimp curry


Veggies from Mom's garden =)



Let me introduce my mom to you all. A very highly energetic person who happens to love cooking, home decorating, sewing, knitting to gardening. There is no end to her hobbies. There was a time when I used to be very annoyed by her multiple talents and the drive to keep herself busy in these tasks. But today, after being married for 3 and something years and having my taste in life turn a new direction, I truly appreciate her for all those things. Too bad I have not inherited even one of her talents. I cannot sew even a button on my dress, I cannot plant anything without help I don't even know how to hold a knitting stick/rod(whatever it is called)

Maybe I picked up on my passion for cooking and home decor from her, but my taste is completely different from hers in many ways. I also definitely wish I had so much inner drive like my mother to do so much all at once and still take care of a family! 

Today, after many many years of her marriage and having children and having them married off, she lives with my father in a small cozy apartment where the weaves her magic of sewing...gardening..cooking etc. My mom and dad are both great gardeners and really very good at it I tell you! Every summer they garden like crazy and grow all sorts of vegetables in their cute little garden. From green chillies, tomatoes, eggplants to squash and leafy greens...and much more.

  This year I have been blessed with many home grown vegetables from my mom's garden. We cooked and ate them and enjoyed them throughout this wonderful summer. Today's recipe is of a type of greeny leaf which is called 'Pui/Puhi" We call it 'Pui Saag' in Bangladesh. A very popular type of green leaf that is cooked in almost all Bangladeshi homes and eaten as a side dish with boiled rice. It is usually cooked with fish or shrimp, or just lightly fried with onions. 

I cooked mine with shrimp, because my hubby is a huge shrimp lover and requested I cook it that way.
Hope you all enjoy my recipe!


PUI SAAG WITH SHRIMP CURRY


Ingredients:

1 Ib Pui Saag (washed and drained)
300 Gram small shrimps (washed and peeled)
2 table spoon vegetable oil
3 cup water
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 tea-spoon Garlic paste
1/2 tea-spoon Ginger paste
2 teaspoon salt (as per your choice)
1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2-3 Green chillies (halved)


Directions:

In a pant heat oil in medium heat.

Add chopped onions and peeled shrimps to oil and saute fry 1-2 minutes

The add the garlic and ginger paste, salt, turmeric powder and paprika

Saute for few minutes so that all ingredients blend together until an aroma comes out, add a little bit of water if needed

Add the leafy greens/pui saag and mix together with ingredients.

Add the 3 cups of water and cover under medium heat.

Let cook for 5-6 minutes or more until the leafs are well cooked and water has reduced to your liking.

Add the green chillies 1-2 minutes before the dish is done cooking.


ENJOY


Blogger Templates




Post a Comment