Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vanilla Sponge Cake


I am usually a big time chocolate cake lover and I love to baking with cocoa powder. I do make a chocolate cake once a month. But, my husband had recently complained that I don't make 'his type of cake' too often! Ouch...now that bites. So all those types I made the cheesecakeS or the no bake desserts were just for me!? *shocked*

Well then he clarified, a simple cake that he can enjoy with his tea or have as a snack. What a relief. I was about ti brush him off with a whole lot of emotional talk...!
 
His type of cake would be a simple vanilla pound/sponge cake or a cake that has chocolate swirls. But he is not a rich decadent chocolate cake lover as I am.

So I admit. I really don't make those vanilla sponge/pound cakes enough. I am just a darn chocolate lover who has to give her cocoa powder some rest and embrace the simplicity in baking.

 I decided to give him his favorite type of cake and at the same time keep it simple. (Which is hard, i love to decorate, add flavors and ice! But, hubby likes all things simple =)
 
I was going through some very interesting recipes on my favorite blogs and came across Sharmi's Passion Vanilla Sponge Cake. I thought this was a great recipe as it requires very little eggs and a wonderful result. I used her recipe but modified it to my taste and measurements. I made a bigger cake with a lemon flavor. Here is my modified recipe of Sharmi below


Lemon Sponge Cake

Ingredients 
Zest from 1/2 lemon
1 cup sugar
1 cup margarine (or butter softened at room temperature)
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions

Put the sugar and lemon zest in a blender or food processor. Blend until the lemon zest is fine. Add this mixture to the softened butter. Beat with a mixer on medium until fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes.

Add the eggs to the sugar and butter one at a time, beating well after adding each one. Add the water, lemon juice, and vanilla. In a different bowl, use a whisk to mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the rest of the ingredients. Mix on low. Then add the rest of the flour mixture. 

Now beat at medium speed until the cake batter becomes shiny. The mixture should also turn a white color. Do not skip this step or reduce the mixing time. The longer you mix the batter, the more air bubbles you create. This is what makes sponge cake recipes light and fluffy. This step of the sponge cake recipe should take about 15 minutes.

Pour sponge cake batter into your choice of cake pans that have been greased with shortening well and liberally floured. If they haven't been greased and floured thoroughly, your sponge cake recipe will stick to the cake pans.

Bake lemon sponge cake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. The sponge cake should pull gently from the sides. It will be golden in color and spongy to the touch. It should spring back when touched. To be sure the sponge cake is done, test the center with a toothpick and see if it comes out clean. Do not open the oven while the sponge cake is baking.

Remove the lemon sponge cake from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes before removing the cake from the cake pans. Let the sponge cake cool completely before frosting it. A lemon glaze would work well with this basic sponge cake recipe. Of course, frosting a sponge cake is optional. Plain sponge cake recipes are delicious by themselves. 


My Hubby loved the cake. I won't lie to you here just because it's my blog. He enjoyed it and appreciated it! And that makes me happy, very very happy!
Now he has asked me to make a chocolate swirl cake for my next bake off. Have any recipes in your mind? Send me some suggestions!

With Love,

Tamanna
Post a Comment