Monday, October 25, 2010

Upside Down Pineapple Cake and a New Stand Mixer!

Upside Down Pineapple Cake


My first attempt at baking an Pineapple upside down cake was quite amazing. I think it turned out moist and sweet, just the way I had tasted it a long time ago, and just the way it should me. What do you think? My girl friends and I enjoyed this cake along with other delicious dishes couple of days ago. Two of them are going to deliver babies by next 2 months and I wanted to give them a treat; right before the babies come and their night sleeps disappear for a long long time!

The night ended with a pudding like cake topped with syrupy pineapple topping. This cake almost tastes like a pudding with a pineapple twist. Try and see for yourself =)

And I just had to mention this, I made this cake  with my very new Stand Mixer from Westbend. I'll be honest, I didn't want to buy a super expensive mixer from Kitchenaid or Cusineart. I would love to have one of those fancy ones for sure, but I am more of a risk taker and like to try things from out of the box. I went for a mixer that is not massively expensive yet does the work I need and still looks great on my kitchen cabinet! This mixer cost me about $100 CDN on discount price.
So far, I enjoyed this mixer except the constant scraping part, but hey at least I no longer have to hold my hand mixer with one hand and scrape with another. I am enjoying the hands free times I can spend on other stuff while the ingredients mingle and jingle in there!


INGREDIENTS


Serves 6 to 8

Topping
4 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 can of pineapple slices

Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk

 METHOD

 1. For the topping: Grease bottom and sides of 9 x 3-inch round cake pan. Melt 4 tbsp butter in microwave or a medium sauce pan; add brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is foamy and pale, 3 to 4 minutes. 

2. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan; swirl pan to distribute evenly. Arrange fruit slices in concentric circles over topping; set aside.

3. For the cake: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350ยบ F. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl; set aside. 

4. Cream butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 

5. Beat in yolks and vanilla (scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary); reduce speed to low and add dry mixture and milk, alternately in three or four batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, until batter is just smooth.




 This is what the cake batter looked like before the egg whites went in. smooth and silky!

6. Beat egg whites in large bowl at low speed until frothy. Increase speed to medium-high; beat to soft peaks. Gradually add 2 tbsp sugar; continue to beat to stiff peaks. 





Egg Whites Whipped

7. Fold one-quarter of beaten egg whites into batter with large rubber spatula to lighten. Fold in remaining whites until no white streaks remain. 


8. Gently pour batter into pan and spread evenly on top of fruit, being careful not to disperse fruit. Bake until top is golden and toothpick inserted into cake center (but not into fruit, which remains gooey) comes out clean, 60 to 65 minutes.
9. Rest cake on rack for 2 minutes. Slide a paring knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Place a serving platter over the pan and hold tightly. Invert the cake onto the platter. Carefully remove the cake pan. If any fruit sticks to the pan bottom, remove and position on top of cake.



Enjoy!


West Bend 41125 12-Speed Stand Mixer with 2 Mixing Bowls, Black
Post a Comment