Friday, October 22, 2010

Winter Squash Bhaji and Smelth fish Curry



Winter Squash


I love Squash, Pumpkins! Since childhood it has been my most favorite vegetable, a vegetable that did not require my mom to  hide inside rotis or inside a meat dish. I would just eat it happily. And still today, the thought of eating curried squash/pumpkins make me happy. I think they make a great comfort food on a cold winter afternoon, in whatever way they are cooked. Soup or curried, doesn't matter to me! And, this is the fall season, the sudden rush of wind and falling leaves outside really screams for some comfort food in my head. 

I cooked a lightly sauted winter squash dish today sprinkled with cilantro and enjoyed it with my steamed rice, and some squeezed lemon on top. Oh my.....childhood never was missed more! 


Ingredients:
1 medium sized winter squash 
( peeled, cored with a spoon or fingers, and chopped into small rectangular shapes)
1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
2 green chilly
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons warm water
5-6 cilantro (roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons salt
pinch of paprika 
(for vibrant color, i dont use chilly powder as it takes away the sweetness of squash)


Method:

tip* Use a non-stick pan for cooking this as it requires very little oil and water and may stick to the pan if not a nonstick pan.

  1. Wash and drain the chopped squash
  2. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan under medium flame
  3. Add chopped onions, chillies
  4. Saute fry for 2-3 minutes
  5. Add salt, turmeric powder, paprika
  6. Add the squash
  7. Stir lightly and mix all ingredients well and cover
  8. Check after 5 minutes, if it is sticking to the pan add the water 
  9. Add the cilantro 
  10. Cover and cook for another 5-8 minutes or more depending on how mashed you want it. I like it still in pieces. So i cooked for 10 minutes covered. 

This Dish is participating in the TORVIEW food palette series event for color Orange

~~~~~~


Smelt Fish Curry



 Smelt fish is very common in our home. We eat it at least once a month since my father goes fishing every summer and catches buckets and buckets of Smelt Fish. They're tiny small fishes that have very soft bones that can easily be eaten, well chewed first off course. Smelt fish curry is cooked with very little spices to bring out its' flavor. I like to cook it with tomato and potato as it adds to its flavor and tastes very yummy!

This is what they look like raw


Sorry! I had to show you guys! Don't be grossed out by the look of raw fish!

Ingredients:

1 cup smelt fish (cleaned and washed with vinegar)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 medium potato (thinly sliced)
1 small tomato (cubed)
2-3 green chillies
3 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoons chilly powder
3 teaspoons garlic paste
2 teaspoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon salt
some cilantro (roughly chopped)
2 tablespoon cooking oil

Method:

  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with hand except cilantro and tomato and Oil.
  2. Leave aside for 5-10 minutes to marinate.
  3. Heat a pan,  add the oil under medium flame
  4. Add the marinated ingredients
  5. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes
  6. Add the cilantro and cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes until everything is well cooked.
  7. Do not stir too much, the fishes will break and flake off
  8. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.
 

And here is a snap of my sunshine, lovely of my life, Sufyaan. After I was done cooking he ran to me in a relief. He hates me in the kitchen, waste of play time right?








Post a Comment