Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yogurt Coffee Cake/ Back in Kitchen Stadium





   After 3 weeks of rest from Blogging I am back. Recovered and fueled with energy to cook 

and  bake again. It has been a very hectic time last few weeks and my body has gone through

tremendous amount of pain and taken a bucket of medication. Well, I have also been flushing

it all out well by drinking loads of water and liquid. Now, I appreciate good health 1000% 

time more and never ever going to take it for advantage. Even if that means eating healthier 

more often or simply by adding more nutrtion to my eating.


   My son got the flu right after me and remained sick for 5 days! That was extremely stressful 

and tiring as well as devastating. Devastating to watch him burn in fever and pain. He 

couldn't sleep neither play, which meant more holding and walking wit him even if it means 

'all night'.  And then came visits to doctors and hospitals. May we never have to go through 

this again! May no one have to go through with this.But, I am thankful to Allah (God) for 

giving me my mother. She came along and rescued me and let me rest so I would not lose my 

precious mind and go ballistic. 

   Now getting to my super moist Yogurt Coffee Cake. Did you know most coffee cake 

recipes don't require anything from coffee at all? Not even coffee extract, if that exists. I was 

surprised because I never made coffee cake before. I went to a party last month and they had 

made a delicious sticky like coffee cake and I loved it. But I found it a bit too sugary and more 

starchy. Everything good in taste has to be sinful somehow. So, I researched a little and 

found a THIS recipe by Anna Olson from Food Network Canada. There were numerous 

number of recipes but I trusted Anna. Mainly because she is a TV chef and I am a big fan! 

Although, I did substitute some of the ingredients. I did not have sour cream at home, so I 

simply drained my 0% yogurt for 30 minutes, instead of All purpose flour I used whole 

wheat, and instead of white sugar I used brown. That's it! The taste was still fabulous and 

loved by my biggest critic 'Hubby'.


YOGURT COFFEE CAKE


INGREDIENTS

Yield: 12

Cake

  • 1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup drained 0%yogurt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Topping

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Almond pieces
  • 1 tablespoon margarine, melted

 METHOD

Preheat oven to 350° F. 

Cream margarine and sugar until smooth in an electric mixer or using your hand beater. 

Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. 

Add vanilla and stir in the drained yogurt. 

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients until they're well mixed

In another bowl, combine all ingredients for topping. 

Scrape half of the coffee cake batter into a greased 8-inch square cake pan and level. 



Sprinkle half of the topping over cake and cover with remaining batter. Finish with topping. 


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
 
Serve warm or at room temperature.








Fresh with Anna Olson: Seasonally Inspired Recipes to Share with Family and FriendsSugar: Simple Sweets and Decadent Desserts




Post a Comment