Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peanut Butter and Chocolate - richness in your mouth

I have taken yet another blog break. This time it was unintentional. I have been staying with my mom

last 2 weeks and the computer there was not acting very friendly with my camera's usb hookup, thus I

was left with nothing but to miss blogging! Now I am back home, back to my own lifestyle from a 

lavish lifestyle. A lavish lifestyle meaning, I only slept, ate and rested and watched a lot of Food 

Network over the last two weeks at my moms'. I get spoiled badly when I go there, I don't even have

to worry about feeding or looking too much after my lil' one. My mom and dad do it all and it is a 

dangerous way to spoil their youngest daughter. I don't want to get used it! Because when I come 

back, I expect the same from my hubby and that's just very unrealistic! It's more the other way around perhaps?


Let's back to the PEANUT BUTTER, shall we?

Normally I am not a fan of PB but I picked up a huge jar of it few weeks back at a grocery sale. I 

mainly wanted to stack it for baking or making frosting. But then I came across this delicious looking 

recipe that left me wondering and drooling almost...So I gave it a try. How bad can it be when it's 

topped with chocolate? Well, the result was amazing. I loved it. It is very rich and sweet at the same 

time the bitterness of dark chocolate is still there. Although, I would not eat this all the time. Maybe 

on a special occasion, or a craving for sugar type of moments. I also have to think about my allergy to 

too much peanuts. Children would absolutely love them! Give it a try if you have small kids yourself 

or kids to entertain. It should make them feel like eating a Reese chocolate! Just replace the Dark 

Chocolate with milk chocolate to achieve a sweeter chocolate taste.


PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE SQUARES
Adapted from Once Upon a Chef 
(MODIFIED by me)





Yields: 25 squares

Ingredients

Crust:
30-40 tea biscuits or any biscuits of your choice, finely crushed (about 1⅔ cups crumbs)
¼ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable margarine, softened (You can use butter)
Filling
6 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups Confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable margarine softened ((You can use butter)
1⅓ cups smooth peanut butter 
Pinch of salt (Skip if you used margarine)

Chocolate Ganache Topping
1 bag of dark chocolate chips
6 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Make crust: Combine cookie crumb, sugar and butter in bowl of food processor fitted with blade attachment and pulse until cookies are finely crushed. Press mixture firmly into prepared baking pan 

Bake for 8 minutes. Set on rack to cool completely.

3. In the meantime, make peanut butter filling: Combine all ingredients together in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix at low speed until just combined (do not whip). 
Set bowl in refrigerator while you prepare the rest.

4. Make chocolate ganache topping: Combine milk chocolate chips and heavy cream in microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave at medium power (50%) for 1-1½ minutes. Stir until bowl no longer feels warm. Continue heating at 15-30 second intervals, stirring until smooth and melted. Do not overheat.

5. Put it all together: Use an offset icing spatula (see photo above) to spread about ¼ cup of chocolate mixture evenly over cooled crust; place pan in freezer until chocolate is set, about 5-10 minutes. Spread peanut butter mixture into even layer over chocolate (if it's firm, you can use your hands; if it's soft, use a butter knife or spatula). Give chocolate ganache a quick stir to smooth any lumps, then spread evenly over top of peanut butter layer. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 1 hour to set (or, if you're not in a hurry, you can just leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours). When firm, use a sharp knife to cut into squares (make them small as they are very rich!). Keep refrigerated and serve cool. 






Post a Comment