Wednesday, October 5, 2011

MIXED NUT & SEED BRITTLE - Healthy Snack

 
good evening Blog!
Just sneaking in to tell you my latest kitchen adventure story. But before that, I want to say I have been terribly busy with life. With my growing toddler who turns 2 next month! Everyday is a learning process, a new stage to overcome and feeding him has been my biggest challenge. So, I spent time away from doing almost anything to do with blogging! 
I will be posting my Toddler friendly recipes day to day from now on to show you what we have been up to!
For now, the story of Brittle. I just discovered an amazing Cookbook on my visit to the Library. I took my son to the kids corner for a reading and play time, then somehow ended up on the 2nd floor's Cooking section....yeah i cannot sit in one place for too long. Poor baby had to drag himself along with me. The whole time he would take books out, and myself shelving them back. 
So this is how I stumbled upon the book  
"AMERICAN MASALA" by Suvir Saran
 
I immediately loved the book by its' cover. I know it's not best to judge a book by its' cover, but when it comes to a cookbook it is totally the opposite! =D

This book had some of the most famous Indian recipes that have been slightly changed to give it a Western Touch. But this Nut Brittle recipe was one that really took me back home and reminded me of childhood memories. 



The recipe is simple, the ingredients are basic. But, I changed it up a bit. The original recipe asks for 4 cups of sugar, but I used 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of Maple Syrup. Result was crunchy and gooey brittle which my son absolutely loved!
mixed nut brittle! candied mixed nuts and added sunflower seeds.

2 cups sugar + 1 cup maple syrup 
(Original Recipe asks for 4 cups sugar)
2 cups mixed nuts with sunflower seed (almonds, peanuts, brazillian nuts & cashews)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
... 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
(optional)

Prepare a baking sheet (cookie baking sheet with rims) by spraying Pam on it or buttering it. Set aside

Make caramel with sugar and syrup in a heavy bottom saucepan in medium heat, until it looks amber. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon to avoid hard lumps. Cover lid to create condensation for sugar to melt faster. this all takes about 10-15 minutes.

when sugar has all melted and looks like brown caramel, add the cardamom and cinnamon powder, stir and add the toasted nuts and stir lightly to combine all.

pour the mixture into the baking sheet and spread evenly to fill all blanks.

Let mixture cool either in room or refrigerator.

wait 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then break into desired pieces!
 
Post a Comment